Happy Birthday Karri!! Final Chemo is 10/15 - hooray!!

Happy Birthday Karri!!  Final Chemo is 10/15 - hooray!!
The actual date of Karri's birthday is October 8th but we've been joyfully celebrating all week long. She's been able to go out to eat, see movies, watch Allie play volleyball, and attend church. We love watching her enjoy her favorite foods again. We are so grateful for all your support; it has been critical to help her to celebrate this birthday with gratitude for her return to good health. She continues to improve steadily each week. Pictured here: Allie (14), Brandon (24), Karri and Jerry, and Abby (6). Matthew and Jordan are away at school. Love from all of us to all of you.

Sept 13th: Happy Birthday Jerry!

Sept 13th: Happy Birthday Jerry!
The Robisons (sans Jordan away at school) celebrate. Karri has had a good weekend too! She is eating a healthy normal diet without nausea, and with the benefit of an epidural shot, she is beginning to regain some mobility. While her back pain is not entirely diminished, she has begun to get around with a cane instead of a walker - yay!

June 22: Welcome Home from the hospital Karri! Good Luck w/Chemo

June 22: Welcome Home from the hospital Karri! Good Luck w/Chemo
The Robisons with Mother's Day gifts and the "Wrap Yourself in Our Love" quilt made by friends from church. L to R: Matthew, Brandon, Karri, Jerry, Jordan and Allie

May 31st - Jordan's Senior Prom photo op

May 31st - Jordan's Senior Prom photo op
Despite looking great, Karri is fighting post surgery complications including serious infection and debilitating, persistent nausea.

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Empty Nest

Empty Nest    by  Mother Myrth 
This is the other half of Karri's Home Sweet Home. Here we are, Claude and I with an empty nest for the first time since May. It is an adjustment for us as well as Karri. We had grown so accustomed to her presence in the house that I still wake up at night and think of things to talk to  her about in the morning. 
We are all thrilled about her being home. She has made such great progress. She is truly a amazing person. During this whole ordeal, and it was an ordeal, she has never complained but has saved her energy for healing. I am in awe of her. 
This has been a life altering experience for all of us. It would be impossible for me to explain it to anybody.  The feelings go too deep. But it has given me a much deeper appreciation of life and love and family. Maybe especially love because this is what allowed Karri to heal so well. The power of love is amazing. Claude and I are glad to have had this experience to love and cherish and take care of Karri . It is one we could have done without, but, oh well. As they say, someone had to do it and we were glad it was us. 
When I start missing Karri too much I just go and clean out a corner of the house. And Claude reminds me that although I have lost a daughter, I have gained a bathroom again.
And so it is with a grateful heart I thank my Father in Heaven for allowing us to go on as a complete family, and  I end this blog entry.
As a P.S. I must mention how much we enjoyed having Allie with us for 2 months. She is a typical 14 year old, in fact she gives new meaning to the term "teenager", but she is ours and we love her. Claude and Myrth 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not everyone has such a wonderful support system that Karri has. I know she appreciates you. When we are sick it doesn't matter how old we are we want our Mother's. You are a wonderful family who show so much love to each other. Thanks for being such a great example to those around you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Myrth,

I don't know you but I'm in awe of you. I have been reading Karri's blog for some time and when you write, it just pulls on my heart. I, too, am a mother of two adult children. I wonder if I could be as strong as you if I were in your shoes. You have gone through this experience with grace, courage, and tenacity.
It is Halloween and I'm reading your entry and I can't keep the tears off of my face (and the little goblins are knocking on my door and they think they are scaring me!). You are inspiring us all and I'm sure that is where Karri gets her spirit! Such a lovely family and wonderful friends. I salute you and can't wait to have Karri back at school!
Hugs,
Marie