Happy Birthday Karri!! Final Chemo is 10/15 - hooray!!

Happy Birthday Karri!!  Final Chemo is 10/15 - hooray!!
The actual date of Karri's birthday is October 8th but we've been joyfully celebrating all week long. She's been able to go out to eat, see movies, watch Allie play volleyball, and attend church. We love watching her enjoy her favorite foods again. We are so grateful for all your support; it has been critical to help her to celebrate this birthday with gratitude for her return to good health. She continues to improve steadily each week. Pictured here: Allie (14), Brandon (24), Karri and Jerry, and Abby (6). Matthew and Jordan are away at school. Love from all of us to all of you.

Sept 13th: Happy Birthday Jerry!

Sept 13th: Happy Birthday Jerry!
The Robisons (sans Jordan away at school) celebrate. Karri has had a good weekend too! She is eating a healthy normal diet without nausea, and with the benefit of an epidural shot, she is beginning to regain some mobility. While her back pain is not entirely diminished, she has begun to get around with a cane instead of a walker - yay!

June 22: Welcome Home from the hospital Karri! Good Luck w/Chemo

June 22: Welcome Home from the hospital Karri! Good Luck w/Chemo
The Robisons with Mother's Day gifts and the "Wrap Yourself in Our Love" quilt made by friends from church. L to R: Matthew, Brandon, Karri, Jerry, Jordan and Allie

May 31st - Jordan's Senior Prom photo op

May 31st - Jordan's Senior Prom photo op
Despite looking great, Karri is fighting post surgery complications including serious infection and debilitating, persistent nausea.

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Physical Therapy

Hi everyone - it's been a while since I've written on here, but you know the saying - No news is good news! Things are still going well for me - my stomach is totally back to normal since all the fluid disappeared and I am enjoying eating all the foods I missed during that few months. My blood tests are still turning up good - my cancer markers are back to the normal range and my red and white blood counts are normal as well. The only thing that continues to plague me is my back, and I recently found out why. I have started physical therapy as of last week and my therapist read my MRI that I had at the end of August and it showed not only degenerative arthritis, but a bulging disk that was affecting the nerves that run down both of my legs. The physical therapy has been in a swimming pool the first two times and it has really seemed to help me. I do a number of different water exercises for a whole hour and it really feels good, not to mention that my range of movement has been better and I am able to walk around more without my cane and without pain. I will have some therapy in their clinic where I'll be doing exercises out of the water starting next week - so I'm hoping that will help me even more. I've been able to be out and about and go lots of different places recently, and it really feels good. I want to thank everyone who's been out to visit me, or bring me gifts, or call me or send me cards - I really appreciate all the support from all you wonderful people out there! Take care,
Love, Karri

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karri,

I want to wish you a Happy Birthday! I'm thinking of you every day and it is so good to hear that you are up and about. It sounds like you can really enjoy a piece of b-day cake today!
I feel your pain - back pain. Since my back is chronic, it is good to hear something works...pool exercises.
If you hear your name in Clayton, it is because I will announce your b-day over the loud speaker during the morning announcements!
Big Hugs,
Marie

Anonymous said...

Kari I know how excercise in the pool can help. I go swimming just about every day. AT fist I couldn't get out of a chair, now I can do most anything. Keep up the good work.

Love Aunt Pat

Anonymous said...

Hey Karri-Karri,

Hope your birthday was a blast. Sorry I didn't visit with the 3rd grd team, but Marie's got me working so hard, I can never get out of the place!:) I'll stop by again soon - it's relaxing at your mom's. So glad you're up and about - everyone said you looked GREAT!
Love,
Mary-Mary

Anonymous said...

You dodged a big bullet, Karri. I'm so glad things are looking up. I recently located the ship's manifest from Amsterdam to Ellis Island with 6-year-old grandpa aboard. The Van Vliets didn't come all this way to create weaklings of mind, body, and soul. As far as I can tell, we all do them proud. You earn another merit badge for pioneer spirit, perseverence, and fortitude.